My Appendix N - Part I: Fantasy Essentials
For those who do not know, Appendix N was a list of inspirations and sources compiled by Gary Gygax in the Dungeon Masters Guide of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1979). If you were curious to read Gygax’s list without purchasing the DMG, you can find a copy here.
When it comes to role-playing, we all have in mind tropes, styles and archetypes that are not always common to our own table. I guess if this is the reason why D&D over time has diverged from its gonzo and sword & sorcery origins to become a dull soup of disparate inspirations, which has now become a full fledged genre in its own right.
As a referee, I often found that I took these inspirations for granted, only to find a table that did not have the references to understand what setting I was proposing to them.
This post will be divided into at least two parts, fantasy and science fiction. But I may expand it into other genres. Here in the meantime is the first part.
- Anderson, Poul. The Broken Sword.
- Bradley, Marion Zimmer. Darkover Series. (I read this before abuse allegations were public. I don’t endorse Bradley’s works anymore)
- Burroughs, Edgar Rice. John Carter of Mars.
- China, Miéville. Bas Lag Trilogy.
- Ende, Michael. The Endless Story.
- Hobb, Robin. Liveship Traders Trilogy.
- Howard, Robert E. Conan The Barbarian.
- Howard, Robert E. Kull of Valusia.
- Kerr, Katharine. Deverry Cycle.
- Le Guin, Ursula K. Annals of the Western Shore.
- Le Guin, Ursula K. The Earthsea Cycle.
- Lovecraft, Howard Phillips. The Dream Cycle.
- Moorcock, Michael. Elric di Melniboné.
- Moore, C.L. Jirel of Joiry.
- Pullman, Philip. His Dark Materials.
- Smith, Clark Ashton. Zotique.
- Vance, Jack. The Dying Earth.
- Zelazny, Roger. The Chronicles of Amber.
- Anonymous. The Mabinogion.
- Anonymous. The Nibelungenlied.
- Anonymous. The Poetic Edda.
- Apollodorus. The Library.
- Hesiod. Theogony.
- Homer. Iliad and Odyssey.
- Snorri, Sturluson. The Prose Edda
- Anonymous. Beowulf.
- Saga of Ragnar Lodbrok.
- Saga of Oddr the Archer.
- Saga of Egill One-Hand.
- Mallory, Thomas. La Morthe d’Arthur.
- Monmouth, Geoffrey of. Historia Regum Brittaniae.